Stephen Pollock Memorial Scholarship
In 2003 the MNYF and the State of Michigan as a whole grieved the loss of a man of significant character and contribution for the well-being of others. Steve Pollock is remembered for his committed passion to youth and families. He served within the Department of Social Services now known as the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services from 1967 through 1992. Steve continued his service as the Executive Director of the Coalition Against Homelessness from 1992 through 1994. In this time offering a strong influence in support of the Michigan Network for Youth and Families.
Steve became the full time Executive Director of the MNYF in 1995. He was instrumental in expanding membership, training and technical assistance to providers. Steve led the MNYF in developing a presence with legislatures bringing the voice of homeless and runaway youth to the Capitol. In his Honor the MNYF established the Stephen Pollock Memorial Fund to continue his legacy of supporting opportunities for Runaway and Homeless Youth (RHY). With his mother Charlene and their family offering the first contribution, the MNYF began offering scholarships to youth to engage in civic and leadership activities.
Options to use the Stephen Pollock Memorial Fund
Registration, transportation, meals and/or lodging for a youth to attend a local, state or national conference, workshop, seminar or training – single day sessions, workshop series or multi-day conferences
- Registration fees, deposits, application costs and/or tuition for a youth to take a high school, college, university or trade school class
- Supplies, materials and or fees associated with the participation in a college, university or trade school program
- Attendance fees for the participation of a youth at a community event that promotes leadership opportunities, skill development and/or training
- Fees associated with attendance on a field trip or off-site learning experience such as: ropes course, youth in government, habitat youth build project
- Fees associated with preparing for, practice testing or taking the GED
- Pay for lost wages as a result of attending an event on behalf of agency, MNYF or N4Y